Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they wish to believe, often to their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the near future they are most at risk of doubt and conspiracy theories. The past 6 months people all over the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not so much due to the deadly ramifications of the virus compared to restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s introduced its wake. They desperately have to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a hoax, it’s only a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is done and the social media as always helps it spread-at times even faster compared to killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the facts that over 808 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that normally the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for a few countries. However, facts also show that the dead includes young adults too and everyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions right from the start symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US which we will not make an outline here just to prevent vulnerable minds go through and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here that writer got a cultural media forward giving a link to an article by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is just a’political hoax ‘. Once we mentioned earlier plenty of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other when compared to a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that just a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action contrary to the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a string of reactions in their state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory reduces at the fundamental premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon must be occurring every year, and why then this year must be so different! Governments will not need to have gone on a crisis drive to create more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds simply to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some which we narrate below as arguments to break such types of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the exemplory instance of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring plenty of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) with regards to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful to keep the infected numbers below 100,000 the united states is still fearing an additional outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to prevent its spread. Its aggression against India can also be explained as a part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million up to now and is still on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to account fully for a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization carry on telling’lies’that the brand new Coronavirus is quite dangerous that will probably stay for significantly more than couple of years and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to have accepted in the beginning that pandemic is the largest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the entire world carry on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way in which for a recession possibly a whole lot worse compared to Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Exactly why is this type of mad rush all over the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least this intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever that could be.
Within the last few few days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 per day with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. At this crucial juncture we should not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to produce a kill with regards to profit. For instance, in case a link for an article with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets consider the kind of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.